National 4-H Conference is the premier national civic engagement opportunity for 4-H members across the country. Delegates not only learn while at the conference but also have the opportunity to practice and apply in a real-world setting their newly developed and refined skills. The National 4-H Conference is held annually at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center in Chevy Chase, Maryland.
The National 4-H Conference provides 4-H youth an opportunity to make decisions that will shape their future, by including their ideas and recommendations in 4-H program development. The purpose of the National 4-H Conference is to:
- help selected youths and adults develop their maximum potential by providing opportunities to participate actively in 4-H program development outside their states and at national levels.
- assist states in the further development of a system for involving youth, volunteers and professional staff in 4-H program planning in their states.
- provide an opportunity for the input of youths, volunteers, and professional staff into the National 4-H Program Development Committee deliberations.
- provide a system for an exchange of 4-H programming ideas among states.
- provide an opportunity for Conference delegates to update elected and appointed government officials, national associations, donor groups, etc., on current developments in 4-H national, state, and local levels.
Two delegates are selected each year to represent Nebraska at the National 4-H Conference. Partial conference expenses and transportation from Lincoln are provided for two 4-H Conference delegates by the Nebraska 4-H Foundation.
Expectations of National 4-H Conference Delegates:
- Represent state at National 4-H Conference
- Share conference experience with Extension staff
- Give a brief report to the Nebraska 4-H Foundation Board
- Participate in the selection of future delegates
Youth applicants must be enrolled 4-H members.
Youth must be between ages 15 (as of January 1 of the Conference year) and 19 years of age.
Youth may only attend National 4-H Conference once.
Application & Selection Process
To apply to be a Nebraska delegate to the National 4-H Conference, youth must complete the Annual Achievement Application by January 15th. Completed applications must be submitted to 4HAchieves@unl.edu.
Applications will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Individual meets the age criteria
- Experiences in 4-H Leadership - 50%
- Volunteer leadership
- Elected/appointed leadership
- Experiences in 4-H citizenship and community service - 25%
- Experiences in 4-H projects and/or programs - 25%
- Learning experiences
- Accomplishments and recognitions
- Experiences in public speaking
Applications are reviewed by a state committee. The committee will select 8 individuals to participate in interviews. These finalists will participate in virtual interviews on the third Saturday in January. Final selection will be based on the applicant's communication skills, both interpersonal and public and their ability to provide leadership and develop support for an issue or platform related to 4-H. The interview committee will select two 4-H'ers to represent Nebraska at the National 4-H Conference annually.